Medicine-whether in the form of supplements or pharmaceuticals-is big business indeed. With profit margins which can be nearly four times the average of any business, the pharmaceutical industry enjoys a top position being amongst probably the most profitable businesses in the world.
The nutraceutical industry is not far behind offering stiff competition to pharmaceutical counterparts. Research is booming and science-based studies have given successful impetus to the plant-based health supplement industry. A few of the more popular botanicals like as Echinacea, gingko biloba, ginseng, garlic, and St. John’s Wort are seeing sales that put them in exactly the same league with many prescription drugs. Actually, so popular is the supplement industry that pharmaceutical giants like Bayer, American Home Products, Johnson and Johnson and Boeheringer-Ingelheim have all begun to offer supplements!
What’s the Difference?
There’s little of a difference between nutraceuticals and pharmaceuticals aside from the way in which they are regulated in the United States although both are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drugs Administration. Major differences include:
* Pharmaceuticals which can be derived from plant proteins for vaccines and medical treatments are different as nutraceuticals. nutritional support The major difference is that pharmaceuticals are made especially for medical use under a physician’s supervision, and are susceptible to Food And Drugs Administration approval.
Health supplements do not need medical supervision, nor Food And Drugs Administration approval.
* Pharmaceuticals need prescription from a certified doctor for purchase. The decision of a supplements is as much as the individual. Health supplements can be bought without restrictions at health food stores, food markets, drug stores, national discount chains, mail-order and Internet.
* You can find no strict regulating laws governing health supplements. More or less everyone can assembled a health supplement, notify the Food And Drugs Administration , and put it in the market. In stark contrast, it takes ranging from 8-12 years for a brand new drug to be approved by the Food And Drugs Administration.Pharmaceuticals undergo intense regulatory reviews by the Food And Drugs Administration.
* Due to stricter regulations, pharmaceuticals have greater evidence of efficacy and safety. Whereas supplements derive from tradition with insufficient evidence of safety and efficacy. However, that is changing as new research builds as much as support the benefits of a few of the accepted nutrients. Eg omega 3 fatty acids.
* Pharmaceuticals are patented. Herbs and supplements are not patented and therefore the profits are limited with stiff competition from all sorts of health supplement manufacturers.
* Pharmaceuticals spend countless dollars for research and paperwork for a brand new therapeutic claim of an established drug all to satisfy Food And Drugs Administration requirements. Food And Drugs Administration requirements for supplements are generally not very stringent besides barring them from making any false health claims about their product and adding a disclaimer: “This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This device is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”
* Pharmaceuticals include various side effects. Known unwanted effects are required to be disclosed on the label. While supplements don’t require a listing of unwanted effects, there is commonly fewer cases of unwanted effects connected with the use of health supplements.
Complaining in regards to the high cost of traditional medicine and unwanted effects, many folks are embracing alternative medicine in the form of health supplements. A report by the Hartman Group, a leading market research firm called, “The Wellness Trends in 2002” discovered that Americans are beginning to put the household and health above the daily routines of life. Those types of interviewed many expressed frustration with U.S. healthcare system and wanted more control over their own health. The report said, “Dietary supplements … (allow) them a means of self-managing their own health … providing them with a feeling of empowerment,” the report states. This really is an edge over pharmaceuticals.According to the Nutrition Business Journal fast growth in the nutraceutical market is seen in weight-loss products.
The demand for such products keeps growing as you see the a lot more than 120 million overweight Americans and 17 million diabetics who are looking for supplements that increase metabolism, suppress or satiate appetite, and control blood sugar. Such sectors in the supplement industry have gained footage over pharmaceuticals.In America, 60% of the consumers take some sort of food supplement and 30 to 40% take herbal supplements. Health supplements are gaining such credibility that numerous physicians are recommending them for their patients before prescribing riskier pharmaceuticals. Of the supplement users 95% are pleased with supplements.In the meanwhile, research continues to be booming in both industries! Health supplement manufacturers continue to unveil groundbreaking products as new evidence supporting the benefits of nutraceuticals emerges.